Looking to create a website with WordPress? Bluehost has the perfect solution for you. See our WordPress optimized hosting plans here: https://ow.ly/vaY250P8hVK
A domain name serves as a distinctive online address for your website.
Additionally, it also allows audiences to locate you online easily. It should ideally align with your brand’s goals and missions. However, as your business expands and evolves, your organizational objectives may change, leading to the need for a new domain name.
Thankfully, changing your domain name is easy, and it wouldn’t take long if you followed the steps mentioned in our video.
In this video, we represent a step-by-step guide on how to change the WordPress domain name.
Things explained in the video:
-A step-by-step guide on how to change WordPress domain name
-What is a domain name, and why change a domain name?
-What will be the impact of a domain change on your website
-Important things to keep in mind when changing your domain name
Here are a few things you should do before changing your domain name:
Before changing your domain name, follow these prerequisites to ensure sustained traffic and an uninterrupted user experience for your audience during the migration.
1) Plan the migration: Create a step-by-step plan to ensure a smooth transition into the new domain. Research the history of your new domain, verify through search engines, and plan for website backups and data migration.
2) Back up your website: Before changing your domain name, it’s crucial to back up your website files and databases. This ensures that you have a copy of your website that can be restored if anything goes wrong during the migration process.
3) Inform your audience: Notify your website visitors, customers, and followers about the upcoming domain name change. Communicate the reasons behind the change and provide them with information on how it will affect their experience.
4) Update internal links and references: Go through your website and update any internal links, references, or hard-coded URLs that may be pointing to the old domain. This ensures that all internal links remain functional after the domain change.
5) Set up 301 redirects: Implement 301 redirects from the old domain to the new domain for all pages and URLs. This helps preserve your website’s search engine rankings and ensures that visitors are automatically redirected to the corresponding pages on the new domain.
6) Update external listings: Update your domain name on external listings such as social media profiles, online directories, and any other platforms where your website is listed. This helps maintain consistency and ensures that users can find your website under the new domain.
7) Update DNS and hosting settings: Update your domain’s DNS settings to point to the new hosting provider or server. Ensure all necessary configurations are in place for proper functioning of your website under the new domain.
00:00:38 What is a domain name
00:00:49 Reasons why website owners change their domain
00:01:43 What to expect while changing domain name
00:03:27 Backup your website
00:04:37 Choose and register your new domain name
00:05:39 Notify your audience
00:06:11 How to change domain name
00:07:57 Notify search engines about the change
Additional Resources and Tutorials:
You can check out our detailed blogs on how to change a domain name
At Bluehost, we empower people to fully harness the web. We are committed to supporting small businesses, whether you are just starting out or a professional.
Recommended by the world’s largest content management system, WordPress, we turn ideas into businesses with an intuitive dashboard and tools that make it easy for users to build, grow and scale their online presence!
You can even connect with us on:
#changedomainname #domainname #changedomainnamewordpress #bluehost